Ted Peters is Distinguished Research Professor Emeritus of Systematic Theology and Ethics at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary and the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California, USA. He co-edits the journal, Theology and Science, published by the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
He formerly directed the Science and Religion Course Program funded by the John Templeton Foundation. This took him on frequent trips to Australia, where he was hosted generously by ISCAST.
For 53 years Ted has served as an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. He lives in the San Francisco Bay area with his wife, Karen, and faithful rescue dog, Angie.
He writes both fiction and non-fiction. The protagonist in his fictional thriller series is a hybrid pastor and spy. His non-fictional works are mostly scholarly writings in either public theology or theology & science.
Australian Theological Forum (ATF Press) recently published The Voice of Public Theology: Addressing Politics, Science, and Technology.
- Ph.D. University of Chicago
- M.Div. Trinity Lutheran Seminary
- B.A. Michigan State University
- Evolution and Human Nature
- Genetics and Bioethics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big History and Theology
- Ted Peters, The Voice of Public Theology: Addressing Politics, Science, and Technology. ATF Press, 2023.
- Ted Peters and Maria Turner, eds., God in the Natural World: Theological Explorations in Appreciation of Denis Edwards. ATF Press, 2020.
- Ted Peters, ed., AI and IA: Utopia or Extinction? ATF Press, 2018.
- Ted Peters, Martinez Hewlett, Joshua Moritz, and Robert John Russell, eds., Astrotheology: Where Science and Theology Meet Extraterrestrial Life. Cascade, 2018.
- Ted Peters, GOD–the World’s Future: Systematic Theology for a Postmodern Era, Fortress Press, 3rd ed., 2015.