MBBS, FRACP, FAChAM, DTM&H, PGDip Epi
Alan is a retired physician in Addiction Medicine, and an Honorary Clinical Associate Professor with the Department of Medicine Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne.
He is the first Medical Director of the Addiction Medicine Service at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Medical Director of the Substance Withdrawal Unit at the Melbourne Clinic Richmond.
He is a Foundation Fellow in the chapter of Addiction Medicine of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
He is past chairman of the Victorian Addiction Inter-hospital Liaison Association (VAILA).
Alan is the National President of ISCAST, a group of Christians interested in the interaction between science and religion. He has lectured in Science and Faith at Ridley College and the Bible College of Victoria.
Alan is a past chairman of the Christian Medical and Dental Fellowship of Australia. He is also National President of HealthServe Australia, an organization of health professionals who seek to provide health and development overseas in the name and spirit of Christ.
Alan is interested in spirituality, addiction, Evidence Based Medicine, scientific methodology and neuroscience. He has published in neuroscience and theology, including: models of mind-brain relationships; understanding self and anthropology; understanding consciousness; the nature of the will; the nature of soul and spirit; monism and dualism; and neurodevelopment and the relation of the emotions to human functioning, and spirituality and addictions, especially as they are expressed in a secular society. Each provides fruitful areas of interaction between science, philosophy and theology, especially as it applies practically in the field of Addiction Medicine.
Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Chapter of Addiction Medicine Royal Australasian College of Physicians Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs Australian Medical Association
Victorian Addiction Interhospital Liaison Association Christian Medical and Dental Fellowship of Australia HealthServe Australia
Topics he can present on
Alan is able to present on Neuroscience, addiction, spirituality, and science religion issues generally, especially as they apply in a secular society.
Science-Faith Publications: Zadok Publications
Zadok is a Christian organization dedicated to looking at the interface between the faith and modern thought. Its publications are listed in the State Library of Victoria.
- Whelan G, Gijsbers AJ. Free will and determinism as reflected in the treatment of alcohol abuse. Zadok 1995;S75:1-8.
- Gijsbers AJ. The nature of humans – mind and brain; body soul and spirit. Zadok Paper 1998/9;S96:1-16.
- Gijsbers AJ. Faith, science and drugs. In Preece G, (Ed). The ethics of drug and alcohol care: social changes and Christian responses. Zadok 2000;S108:1-4.
SE Asian ICMDA Conference Singapore 2000
Gijsbers AJ. Drugs, alcohol and God. In John S, (Ed). Proceedings ICMDA South East Asia/Australasia Conference, Singapore, July 6-9 2000:96-112.
This is the national journal of the Christian Medical and Dental Fellowship of Australia. I have written a number of articles over the years including:
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Applying the choices/consequences model to Addiction Medicine and Psychiatry.’ Luke’s Journal 2008;13 (2):10-11.
- Gijsbers AJ, Whelan G. ‘Spirituality and boundary violations.’ Luke’s Journal 2007;12(3):12- 15.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘The dialogue between neuroscience and theology.’ Luke’s Journal 2006;11(2):8-11.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘The gospel, healing and mission.’ Luke’s Journal 2005;10(1):10-11.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Forgiveness in abuse.’ Luke’s Journal 2003;8(2):4-5.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Gijsbers AJ. Reality and Addiction: neuroscientific and psychological perspectives. June 2008. http://iscast.org/journal/articlespage/Gijsbers_A_2008- 06_Reality_And_Addiction.
- Gijsbers AJ. The dialogue between neuroscience and theology. In Wood A, Barry P. God, Science and Divine Action.
Opinion and Debate
- Gijsbers AJ. Practising science in a secular society. October 2005.
- Gijsbers AJ. Positions and personalities in the origins debate. August 2002.
- Gijsbers AJ, Freeman R, Clarke D. Abuse and forgiveness. July 2002.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Models of science-faith interaction.’ In Clarke JD, Joynt H (eds) Science and Christian Faith: Partners or Enemies? A Workshop for Teachers and Chaplains. October 17 1998.
- Gijsbers AJ. Review of George Ellis’ Backhouse Lecture and its publication. Faith hope and doubt in times of uncertainty: combining the realms of scientific and spiritual inquiry. January 2008.
- Gijsbers AJ. Notes on Chapters 8-11 Science Life and Christian Belief. Jeeves MA, Berry RJ. IVP UK 1998. November 2003.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Would the real Galileo please stand up?’ November 2003. Review of Sobel D. Galileo’s Daughter 1999 compared with Koestler A The Sleepwalkers. 1968.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Body and soul?’ A Review of Moreland JB, Rae SB. Body and Soul: human nature and the crisis in ethics. IVP 2000. November 2003.
- Gijsbers AJ. ‘Mind language and society’. A review of Searle J. Mind language and society: Philosophy in the real world. Phoenix London. 1999.